Last night, on a whim, I idly searched the internet for a dress pattern for Lyra so I could use up some scrap fabric left over from making the red pinafore dress.  I came across this link, and used it as a starting point:
http://www.made-by-rae.com/2008/04/free-itty-bitty-baby-dress-pattern.html

I began by making the skirt section, which I did 10” by 20”.  I used lining material for the first time, but got a little confused when doing the side seams and realised I had sewn the skirt with the wrong sides together.  I considered my choices: to unpick and resew the seams with the right sides facing, or have the lining material (red satin) on the outside of the dress instead.  And then it came to me: I was sure I had some red ribbon which I could sew over the seam on the outside of the dress.  I wasn’t sure whether it might make the dress look as though it had been designed by Adidas, but I thought I’d give it a go anyway.  It looked good.  I then had to gather the material at the top of the skirt, which I have never previously done, but I managed to do that successfully.

Now for the bodice!  I knew I would need to enlarge the bodice pattern for my plumpalicious girl, so I enlarged it by about one inch.  I tried the finished bodice on her this morning to find it was nowhere near big enough, so I had to improvise.  I cut the centre back open, and inserted two extra panels, the left with four button holes and the right with four small buttons which I managed to find in my button box.  Then I thought the button detail looked rather good, so decided to turn the bodice round, swapping back for front.  Then I thought that to complement the strips of ribbon on the side seams of the skirt, I could add two strips either side of the buttons for a little extra detail.

And there you have it: totally different to how I had intended due to a series of mistakes, but so much prettier!  And my first experience of lining a dress and gathering a seam!  Here’s the finished garment:



Unfortunately, in my moment of sheer triumphance, I accidentally stood on, and broke, my lovely button box, which I’ve had for a long time and which had sentimental value.  The buttons scattered all over the rug.  They are still there…

Advertisements