You are currently browsing the tag archive for the ‘baby dress’ tag.

Using the leftover fabric from my Prima June 2009 dress, I made Lyra another dress using the Burda Kids 9750 pattern which I have used before.

It’s a very easy and simple pattern to use, and the dress can be made to look different with the addition of pockets and different trims.  Once I had cut the pieces, I managed to sew the main part of the dress in a couple of hours one evening, and I did the button holes the next day.  It helped that I have used the pattern before, but it really does allow you to create a lovely dress for a little one with relatively no stress.

This time I used a Broderie Anglaise trim and I added pockets (obviously essential for Lyra’s iPhone and pack of ten fags).

I would definitely recommend this pattern if you want to make a lovely handmade baby dress (the pattern size goes up to 3 years old).

Since my last post, I used the remaining fabric from Lemonianta’s vintage apron to make myself a new bag.  It is lined with plain white cotton.  I didn’t use a pattern, just made it up as I went along, and I’m very pleased with it.  It ended up being quite fiddly and, like the last time I made a bag, I broke several machine needles.  I plan to make simpler bags with left-over fabric and use them instead of gift bags for future friends’ birthdays.

I also got some lovely fabric from John Lewis and a Burda Kids pattern 9750 (which goes up to 3 years) with which I made this dress for Lyra:


I’m currently using the same pattern to make a red polka dot dress for her, and with the same fabric I’ve started on a dress for me too using a pattern which came free with Prima magazine (collected by my great Aunt!).

Finally, I felt my usual style of clothing needed a wake up and shake up, and I can’t tell you what made me really badly want to own a denim playsuit.  I found this in a charity shop, which fitted my bottom half perfectly but was too big on top, so I took it in at the side seams, and here is the finished result:


Apologies to Lemonianta for the ‘outfit shot’, but this has to be captured in all its ‘noughties’* glory so that in a few years Lyra can tease me for ever, ever having worn such a garment!

And now it’s back to the ongoing projects: red polka dot dresses for me and Lyra, and I’m also doing an applique ‘Home Sweet Home’ cushion cover…photos to follow!

* OK, so it isn’t the noughties anymore…so what do we call this decade?

Last night, on a whim, I idly searched the internet for a dress pattern for Lyra so I could use up some scrap fabric left over from making the red pinafore dress.  I came across this link, and used it as a starting point:
http://www.made-by-rae.com/2008/04/free-itty-bitty-baby-dress-pattern.html

I began by making the skirt section, which I did 10” by 20”.  I used lining material for the first time, but got a little confused when doing the side seams and realised I had sewn the skirt with the wrong sides together.  I considered my choices: to unpick and resew the seams with the right sides facing, or have the lining material (red satin) on the outside of the dress instead.  And then it came to me: I was sure I had some red ribbon which I could sew over the seam on the outside of the dress.  I wasn’t sure whether it might make the dress look as though it had been designed by Adidas, but I thought I’d give it a go anyway.  It looked good.  I then had to gather the material at the top of the skirt, which I have never previously done, but I managed to do that successfully.

Now for the bodice!  I knew I would need to enlarge the bodice pattern for my plumpalicious girl, so I enlarged it by about one inch.  I tried the finished bodice on her this morning to find it was nowhere near big enough, so I had to improvise.  I cut the centre back open, and inserted two extra panels, the left with four button holes and the right with four small buttons which I managed to find in my button box.  Then I thought the button detail looked rather good, so decided to turn the bodice round, swapping back for front.  Then I thought that to complement the strips of ribbon on the side seams of the skirt, I could add two strips either side of the buttons for a little extra detail.

And there you have it: totally different to how I had intended due to a series of mistakes, but so much prettier!  And my first experience of lining a dress and gathering a seam!  Here’s the finished garment:



Unfortunately, in my moment of sheer triumphance, I accidentally stood on, and broke, my lovely button box, which I’ve had for a long time and which had sentimental value.  The buttons scattered all over the rug.  They are still there…

Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 21 other followers